My second pregnancy: 5 things I did differently

Jes 8 Comments

During my first pregnancy, everything was done religiously and obediently. I followed doctor's instructions carefully and read up on baby stuff every week. I was also more cautious and anxious about what I should do and prepare.

For the second time round, everyone is more relaxed, including my family. They did not keep asking me about my well-being or keep buying tonics for me to consume. My mum did not ask me at regular intervals whether I was wearing proper shoes as she was scared of me falling down. I guess this is normal for subsequent pregnancies as you are not a first-time newbie handling pregnancy anymore, everyone knows you can definitely handle it now.



Here are 5 things I did differently:

1) Less tests and pre-natal vitamins
For the second pregnancy, it seems I was no longer 'kancheong spider' anymore. I did not buy the pregnancy test kit this time round. I just knew I was pregnant when I missed my period. I did not go for a check up at Week 6 just to skip the trans-vaginal scan. I went to the doctor at Week 8 straight for the ultrascan. I guess you could say I got more lazy, but I was also more capable to handle the pregnancy and know what to look out for in case something is amiss.

For the vitamins, I used to consume them religiously as per the doctor's instructions. However, I hated them because I did not think I needed them. Just as long as I remain healthy and eat right, I don't think these supplements are needed and I was proven right by some articles I read here and here.

It goes to show that clinics are giving supplements to everyone, disregarding the steps to check if they really need them. As per these recent studies, if we are not skipping meals or have any pre-existing nutritional deficiencies, there is actually no need for any vitamins at all. I still took my folic acid in my first trimester but not the iron, calcium and fish oil tablets which just added to my constipation woes.

Please don't follow me, this is not for everyone.

2) No need to buy maternity wear
Having bought enough maternity wear and knowing this is my last pregnancy, I did not buy any maternity wear this time round. I bought some loose fitting garments that are stretchy and would still be wearable post-pregnancy.

Plus the fact that my belly only showed after 5 months, with only 4 more months to go and being self-employed now, I have more flexibility in my outfits. Mostly I wore my partner's t-shirt which were loose fitting and casual for my daily wear.

3) No anti-stretch mark cream
I have no stretch marks during my first pregnancy and I only applied the anti stretch mark creams on-and-off. Most studies agree that stretch marks appear due to genetics and I am prone to agree. However, the other reason could be rapid weight gain.

I have a smaller-than-normal pregnancy belly and a steady weight gain even though my baby is always in the acceptable weight range so I am even less concerned this time round. For those who tend to over-eat or if you see your mum pre previous pregnancies has those stretch marks, do take note that none of the commercial creams have been proven to prevent stretch marks!

Hydration is still the best to improving your skin complexion.



4) More healthy snacks
Having unlimited snacks at home is one of the perks of working at SnackFirst. Especially those nuts that I love to indulge so much, I keep a few containers of baked almonds, raw pistachios and mixed nuts on hand to snack every day. I do like my occasional indulgence of macadamias and biscuits too.

The terrible part was that the morning sickness for my second pregnancy was worse than my first. I have to take naps every day, and vomited quite frequently. I could not work when I was in such a mood but luckily, I can work anytime when I feel like it. How I love my job!

5) Staying in 2 bedder instead of 1
With a kid in tow now, there are more concerns particularly during my time of delivery. I have to prepare for my parents to come and take care of my daughter, in case there are labour pains. I also don't have the luxury of asking my husband to stay in the ward with me this time round, as my daughter will need him more.

In this case, actually I am saving more money. I am also fine with staying in the hospital alone and I know I can definitely handle breastfeeding easier this time round.

My thoughts
Every pregnancy is really different. Although I got morning sickness for both pregnancies, the second one was more severe. Ironically, I could take more water for my second one and continued to hydrate sufficiently throughout the pregnancy, resulting in less swelling and water-bloatedness. The first pregnancy, I could only drank sugared drinks because plain water makes me throw up, how weird.

In any case, there will be a lot of things to adjust to a new member in the family, and most importantly, know your family loves you and you are not doing this alone.
__________________________________________________________________________________________________
Like me on Facebook to be updated on more #Familytalk posts and finances.

Jes

If you have benefited from this post, support our first business venture at snackfirst.com or like us on Facebook!

8 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Hi LYCBF,

      So nice of you to drop by, thank you so much for your well wishes! My financial freedom path is going to take that much longer but having kids is so worth it :)

      Delete
  2. Hi Jes,

    Haha, actually we are doing some of these things already in our first pregnancy hehe... I realised that docs are super also lah lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi LP,

      Wah your thinking also modern like me, don't care about old wives' tales and such. I think that is good, hehe! So second one should be anytime soon? :P

      Delete
  3. Hi Jes

    Congrats! Are you expecting a second one already!? It’s so fast! But jiayou you are young and a strong mental mummy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi B,

      I have just given birth to my second one. Yeah indeed it is fast but it does not feel that way to me, particularly because I just got over my confinement month, haha! Thanks for all the encouragement :D

      Delete
  4. Hi Jes,

    Congratulations on your second child. May I ask if it is a girl or boy? If it is a boy, thank you very much for contributing a future soldier for the defence of Singapore. If it is a girl, hopefully she grows up like her mummy who is tough and courageous enough to launch her own business and despite the tremendous drop in income (temporary only), went ahead to give birth to the second child.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Hyom,

      Haha, you have thought of everything! It's a girl, I think for now I just wish for her to be healthy and able to sleep more, don't wake up in the middle of the night. =P

      You think too highly of me, I am sure all parents do some sacrifices one way or another. I really hope the tremendous drop of income is temporary only! Thanks for making my day with your comment! :D

      Delete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.