Starting my own business and expanding my family

Jes , 8 Comments

I could have just stuck with my old job.

It is indeed the safer option to continue getting a regular income, continue working the same old job scope. People like to ask me if I have enough to feed my family and yet, start on a business. Many know that doing a start-up takes time, money and effort. Due to these reasons, many of them use children as an excuse not to venture out, to avoid risk and failure.



I think it's 2 separate issues.

Indeed you will have greater financial burdens but that does not mean you cannot take risks. You just need a higher safety margin. I saved up at least 2 years' worth of expenses before I was more assured to quit. Even my CPF has 2 years' worth of instalments to pay for my HDB loan. It helped when I had a travelling job that paid me well but giving me not much time to spend them.

I was all prepared to take zero income for 2 years.

Even then, I knew it might not be enough.

Business may not take off, more money will need to be invested for marketing and other expenses. Household expenses might increase due to a second child. All these meant having substantial savings to fall back on will still not be sufficient.

Ultimately, having a child is not an excuse not to try something.



In fact, it should be a good motivation and reason to change our lifestyle, to re-think our perspective. More so with a second child. It was also a consideration whether to take on a second child with a zero income. In the end, I feel that my biological clock is ticking and money can be earned one way or another. Don't find excuses of not doing anything because in the end, you might come to resent that excuse.

I have never thought of relying on my partner's income.

His money is his, and of course he has to contribute his part to the household. I am too proud and independent to spend his money. He will also plan for his finances prudently although we do discuss our stocks and money issues together. The critical issue here is to plan my finances appropriately. Relying on another will only make things worse and I might grow overly comfortable. In the long term plan, he will also have to join me in this business eventually.

I took on a part-time job initially to tide me through as at the initial stage, business was also slow moving. As my business picks up, I was able to get by being a full-time employee of SnackFirst. If I don't do it full-time, I am unable to fulfil the increasing orders in time.

Let's hope I can get a decent salary within 2 years.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________

Like me on my entrepreneurial journey for SnackFirst!



Jes

If you have benefited from this post, support our first business venture at snackfirst.com or like us on Facebook!

8 comments:

  1. Hi Jes,

    I’m sure by then. You would!!
    I’ll be looking for vacancies then!!

    Please tell your HR to not reject my CV! Hehehe

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sleepydevil,

      I will definitely not hire you because I cannot afford you! With your overseas experience, I am sure you will do so much better :)

      Delete
  2. Hi,

    All the best in your endeavour.

    Ben

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Ben,

      So nice of you to drop by with the well wishes! Thank you so much :)

      Delete
  3. You are really brave to take that plunge and I do admit I have that same dilemma you once used to have.

    Anyway Snackfirst turned out to be successful and I love your products! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi B,

      Thanks for dropping by! I guess everyone will have the same dilemma, especially with the financial aspects.

      I can't say SnackFirst is successful yet but many thanks for loving our snacks. So grateful for your support and hope we get to meet again soon! :)

      Delete
  4. Congrats on venturing out with the business. Having owned two businesses before, I must say it is definitely hard work but very fulfilling and was a great experience with lots of lessons learnt. Have fun ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Ms K,

      Thanks for dropping by! Woah, you are definitely a mompreneur to look up to. I am indeed having fun and these lessons can't be learnt as an employee. All the best to your work and family too! :)

      Delete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.