Incontinence after pregnancy - Kegel exercises required

Jes 2 Comments

Pregnancy is a tedious process but what's even more difficult is the recovery process after which. More often than not, our body has handled some irreversible damages and we are unable to remain youthful, such as the elasticity of the skin and the size of the hips.

One other thing I noticed that inconvenienced me greatly is incontinence.

Probably require adult diapers as well

It means my bladder and pelvic muscle has weakened greatly after delivery. Sneezing and coughing while I have an almost full bladder means a certainty of leakage of my urine. Pretty disgusting.

I found it out through the hard way because I went to a trampoline park after my confinement. It was supposed to be a day of fun that turned out to be a day of embarrassment. I had no idea jumping on the trampoline requires that much pelvic muscle to hold the urine in. Luckily my FBT shorts were of dark colours and people thought I was sweaty but I knew the truth. Even after emptying my bladder there was still leakage so that was when I realise how weak my pelvic muscles have become.

Needless to say, I don't encourage mothers to go jumping around until you strengthened your muscles.

How to strengthen it is a long process and I suspect not many mothers bother to do so. That is until you have subsequent pregnancies and realise things are only going to get worse and not better. Actually the basic pelvic exercise is very simple. So simple that people will not remember to do it.

These exercises can be done anywhere!

Kegel Exercise
You can do this anywhere, anytime without even changing to a sports attire because it does not cause you to sweat. I write it down on a post-it so that I do it whenever I see the message.

1) Locate your pelvic muscles. These are the muscles you use when you want to stop the flow while urinating.
2) Squeeze and hold for 8 seconds.
3) Repeat 10 times, 3 times a day or as many times as you can remember

Bridge
This can be done before you go to bed every day.

1) Lie on the bed with your knees bent.
2) Lift your hips from the bed, forming a triangle with your body
3) Hold for 10 seconds and repeat for 10 times.

See some pictures here.

Wall Sit
This might be the most difficult of all, especially because they will work out your thigh muscles as well.

1) Lean on a wall with your thigh perpendicular to the wall.
2) It's as if you are sitting on a imaginary chair with your back supported by the wall.
3) Hold for 30 seconds or as long as possible for you.

Google kegel exercises and you will see a lot of other exercises to try too. You might be more motivated after a few more leakages. I got more hardworking during my second pregnancy as the leakages made me so frustrated.

A good, well-toned body can also help improve sex!  
Thinking of the bright side, it is well known that these pelvic muscles exercise can also help improve sex! So it's a win-win for you and your partner, why not try these exercises to see if they work.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________
Like me on Facebook to be updated on more #Familytalk posts and finances.

Jes

If you have benefited from this post, support our first business venture at snackfirst.com or like us on Facebook!

2 comments:

  1. Hi,

    Take care. Hope that your condition improves with the above approaches.

    Ben

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Ben,

      Thank you for your concern, that's very nice of you. Luckily, I have improved with these exercises but it's really a long term effort, gotta keep working hard! :)

      Delete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.