Taking advantage of the low interest rate - Changing from HDB loan to a bank loan

Jes 0 Comments

I wrote a post previously that I was still with HDB loan because of the peace of mind and lesser cash upfront needed when I purchased my house.


Now with the all-time low interest rates, I have decided to cave and change to a bank loan. Now is the time when we have 20 years lowest interest rate, I would be a fool not to consider it. Currently, I could get 1.45 to 1.5% for my home loan from various banks. The best part of all, is that DBS has a 5 years fixed interest rate. That's incredible! 

Considering I only have 21 years left, 5 years is like 25% of the loan and I happily signed on with it. A lot of you may have the same considerations as me - What if interest rates go up and higher than HDB interest rate of 2.6%? 

The last time it went anywhere near in the recent 20 years was in 2001, and the highest was 2%. My solution is to repay a lump sum if the interest rate go much higher. 


A lot of us do not know that you can actually pay the bank loan early without the 1.5% penalty - By either giving the bank 1 month's notice (check the contract terms), or after the lock-in period, which is 5 years for my case. When it's time for you to re-finance the loan, take a look if the interest rate is still acceptable, or if it's time to repay a higher amount, such that you have a lower loan value remaining and will not need to pay so much interests, even with a higher interest rate.

For that, you need to set aside some funds. which I have 5 years to do that. 

In any case, for the interest rate to go down from 2.6% (HDB Loan) to 1.5% (DBS Loan) is a huge savings of $50,000 (over a period of 20 years and only if the interest rate does not increase much)! That's compounding interest for you and shockingly huge when it's over a long period of time.

For people who are still with HDB loan, probably time for you to consider. No obligations since I am not earning any commission from any banks. I saved some money in the long run, and hope some of you will benefit too. 

Jes

If you have benefited from this post, support our first business venture at snackfirst.com or like us on Facebook!

0 comments:

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.