Cross road

Jes , 6 Comments

The early morning quiet yet bustling activities at the airport.
The wait to board the plane.
The idleness on the plane and hoping for time to speed up.
The waiting for luggage and careful sighting of your own.
The arriving to a new country and hoping on a taxi to an unexplored place.

I enjoy it all.


Unfortunately the time has come when I want to do what I love and for the right reasons too.

Not just working for a soulless corporation. Seeing the throng of moving corpses on the streets every Monday, I know I do not want to be like them day in, day out. Being in the sales line, I have a certain flexibility in my job but I am slowly becoming resistant to go to work. Losing my motivation is the worst that can happen and I know it's not due to my pregnancy.

Or maybe it is.. because my priorities shifted because of that.

Starting my own business is going to be painful with the reduced income. It is going to be tough as I am carving my own direction. Life is not going to be the same again.

Surprisingly I feel exhilarated rather than fear.

Probably because I have been suppressed for some time. Or that my finances have not started to be in the red. Maybe because I am getting out from a pointless wheel mill. The most fearful moment was before I submitted my resignation. Fear of the unknown, fear of a new era.

I finally feel that I am doing something right with my life.

In the right direction with my aim, which is to be financially free, or my goal, which is to work less hours. Either way, I need a push in the right direction. I am in control now.

Jes

If you have benefited from this post, support our first business venture at snackfirst.com or like us on Facebook!

6 comments:

  1. Hi Jes,

    This sounds rather familiar. Somewhat nostalgic since I went through a similar situation a few years ago.

    To be honest, I am quite surprised at this decision. Because my impression has always been that you love and thrive in a corporate environment. You would probably be one of the last few I would have expected a few years ago to leave so early in this financial blogosphere.

    But I guess the writing was always on the wall ever since you started your business/venture. Kudos for the courage and wishing you all the best!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi 15HWW,

      Yeah man, I always thought we are in a very similar predicament. Or even similar to your wife when she gave up a travelling job.

      Well I do like working in the corporate scene, and still like travelling. Starting a new business would put all my skills to good use and I get to meet more people and do more sales call so it isn't totally different from working for a MNC.

      Thank you for your kind wishes! If only I can say that I have a portfolio like you so I decided to venture on my own. Alas it's not, but I am still raring to go. I do need all the luck I can get, and all the same, wish you all the best too!

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Hi Kevin,

      Thank you, let's jiayou together! :D

      Delete
  3. Sigh, another person who think he/she is at a different level from the mindless corpses thronging the street? I think you are pyschoing yourself to think that way as a way of comfort due to your circumstances? If everyone just want to do what they like (carpe diem?), who will operate the trains, cook the food in hawker centres so that you can have a cheap meal etc. Seriously, I roll my eyes whenever someone mentioned crap like this. Do you know those people and their circumstances you mentioned as corpses?

    I'm sorry, but I get worked up whenever someone make a comment like this.


    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi there,

      I think you assumed wrongly. Everyone has different passions and inspirations. There are people who love trains and cooking and there is nothing wrong with that. It's just that I don't love what I used to do, and I did something about it. I am not better at anyone else, I just wanted to pursue my dream and am doing just that.

      I don't want to be a 'corpse' who did not at least try to change my life. Starting a business is not glamourous, from being a delivery man to being a cleaner, packer and just about every kind of job, I have to do on my own. I don't look down on these jobs but I have to work towards what I want to do, instead of working for a corporation who pays well but I absolutely dread working for. Hope you can understand that.

      It's ok to get worked up, it means you have a fire inside of you that needs to be harness. Thanks for getting me to clarify, I appreciate that :)

      Delete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.