Pregnancy and delivery cost in Singapore

Jes , 11 Comments

As per my previous post, I delivered naturally without epidural. The maternity packages in 2016 for Mt Alvernia, a private hospital in Singapore is stated below. Prices are pretty similar to Thomson Medical Centre.

I stayed in a single ward with normal delivery so I had to deposit $3103 (the circled part) as soon as I was admitted to the delivery ward. Do remember to bring along your prenatal receipts as the hospital will do the Medisave claims for you.



I do not see the need to specify the St Michael's ward or anything better because a single ward is comfortable enough. My husband stayed overnight for 2 nights at $80.25 per night including GST. Food is also included for him. You can only have a companion for single rooms and above.


I think my bill was quite affordable as I was lucky to have a normal delivery. If you have a more well known gynaecologist or a C-Sect, it will be more expensive. I also found that female gynaecologists are generally more expensive than male due to the higher demand. Nevertheless, do know that there will be many nurses and doctors that will handle your private parts during delivery, more so for C-Sect mothers and not all of them are female.  Thus, requesting a female gynae is not really necessary in my opinion and also with feedback from my friends.

I have to mention that with the Baby bonus for my first child at $8000, I still have some cash after paying for all the pregnancy expenses ($8,000 - $7,040 = $960). Not to forget the $9,000 for my child's CDA account, I really think we have got a good pro family scheme going on. Maybe they can consider giving more for C-Sect mothers who will incur higher expenses.
More information on heybaby.sg
What's on my wish list? To improve the quality of the caretakers for maids and in child care centres. Of course, I would want more subsidies for infant and child care or even maid levy but more subsidies is not going to make me give birth to more babies.

Still worried about money? You should check out my #Finance posts and start changing your lifestyle now.

_______________________________________________________________________________________________
Like me on Facebook to be updated on family finances. You may also like to read the comparison of prices for different brands of diapers and formula milk.

Jes

If you have benefited from this post, support our first business venture at snackfirst.com or like us on Facebook!

11 comments:

  1. It is actually personal preference om how and the type of medical "assisted" treatment needed. But l do agree with you that the gender of the doctor not really important throughout the pregnancy time and during delivery. The health of the baby matters more. One more thing, it will be good to experience the natural delivery pain; l had my colonoscopy 3 years ago wide awake without getting the usual sedation. My doctor hesitated but after much persuasion he allowed the colonoscopy (assisted by a female nurse) without any sedation. Painful but really a 'wonderful' life experience.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Money Honey,

      "Wonderful" experience?

      Hmm. Scratching my chin.

      Hmm.

      LOL!

      Delete
    2. Hi Money Honey,

      Woah, nice. You do like pain, haha just kidding. I guess short term pain is better than long term side effects. Although right after delivery, I regretted my decision because it is considered unnecessary suffering. Now forgot all already so if got next baby maybe skip epidural again!

      Pain is just weakness leaving the body right? :)

      Delete
    3. Hi Jared,

      Maybe you should try it to experience how wonderful it is :D

      Delete
  2. Jes,

    You are one strong woman!

    I have 2 female colleagues who chose C-section from the get go as they don't want to go through the pain of natural delivery...


    By the way, coffee tear or me must be totally worn out. Sayang him for me OK?

    You? You don't need lah!

    You Amazon warrior!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jared,

      Haha I am not strong but just stubborn. Don't like to give up, don't like to back down. What doesn't kills me makes me stronger:P

      Wah so nice always looking out for Coftea. I still need some sayang leh... after delivery still got breastfeeding, confinement, pain, stress... tired of being a woman haha!

      Delete
  3. Nice try!

    Trying to entrap me in public ;)

    I sayang you coffee tea or me comes after me how?


    Shit! Next year is my big 50 :(

    I think I'll get the free tool kit to test for colorectal cancer. Better this than a colonoscopy!

    Ouch!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jared,

      Wahaha, you should plan a series of SMOL50 posts. I think maybe you should try it like Money Honey so that you will get some idea of how child birth is like :P

      Delete
  4. Hi there,
    I'm wondering if you would recommend the Gynae you used for your natural birth? I'm looking for a gynae that's not too expensive/branded, but good enough to look out for me in the next months till delivery. Thanks! -Catherine KB

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Catherine,

      Yes I would definitely recommend my gynae. He is not branded but very experienced. You can take a look at Dr Clifton Chan from SWC in Clementi. All the best!

      Delete
  5. Hi there,

    I just read your post, it's true that you need to wait longer for NUH check ups, because the queues are longer for the subsidised rates. Just to let you know, I do get ultrasound scans for every of my check ups with my private gynae. Private gynae costs slightly more but I think for the amount of time saved, it's quite worth while.

    Probably you might want to consider for your next pregnancy! Thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.