Your Work Is Not Your Life

Jes , 4 Comments

Some friends see me as 'unemployed'. Others see me as taking a break from corporate world, and they kept on asking when I am going back for interviews and trying to recommend available jobs to me. A few think I am resting at home, possibly slacking and shaking my legs.




Doing your own business is not so free and easy, after all.

It's actually much more busier and productive than the average worker. We don't watch the clock ticks past and often, time flew by before we have to rush to another place.

Not many will understand and that is ok. As long as those who matter understands, that's enough. Just like investing and buying insurance, it's very personal. People will not understand why you are taking these actions and any form of explaining will make them feel you are trying to hard-sell them something.

One acquaintance casually mentioned that he is now handling millions of cash transactions for the company. After knowing I am venturing out, the shift in topic became how "I have never seen so many zeroes in my lifetime." The feeling I got from him was, he feels powerful and involved in a grand operation.

I would really like to inform him time and again,"It's not your money." I did not.

For people in our 30s, all of us starts to be in important positions. It is vital not to associate that job position to your self worth. You might be important just because you are in that position. Without that position, are you still important to anyone? Make this clarification clearly.

A job is not the centre of your life.

If you think that you want to work hard to get to a great position in the 40s so that you can relax and enjoy the wealth, think again. Are you going to miss your baby's first steps? Are you ready to forego your son's recital for the conference call? Do you know what is your child's favourite food and colours?



Don't make excuses.

I am not saying, quit your job instantly. I am saying, please be more involved in your children's lives. They will not need you forever. Money can always be earned and when you are home, be there. Not just looking at your phones but be with them, bring them out, communicate. Not just be there when you take them overseas once a year.

A distracted parent is not much better than an absent one. Half your time your duty is to be a good employee, the other half is to be a good child, partner and parent. Don't forget the other half and working too much should not be a regret in your life.

That's the top regret in life for good reasons.

We all need our jobs but we can also be the best parent one can be for your children, the best child for your parent, the best spouse for your partner.

Not just the best employee.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________
Follow me on my entrepreneurial journey for SnackFirst!

Jes

If you have benefited from this post, support our first business venture at snackfirst.com or like us on Facebook!

4 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Hi Unintelligent Nerd,

      Thanks for dropping by to press the Like button! I have linked up your blog with mine :)

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Thank you, looking forward to your new posts! :)

      Delete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.